Sunday, July 16, 1944: Bivouac northwest of La Mere des Pierres.
All companies moved to a bivouac ½ mile northwest of La Mere des Pierres on 16 July. Immediately upon arrival Company “A” was assigned task of laying a hasty minefield at the front. Work was started at 0200 hours on the 17th and was completed at 1700 hours the following day. The company was pinned down by enemy mortar and shell fire during the greater part of this time. No casualties were suffered, however. The other line companies were engaged in road repair work, burying dead cattle and destruction of mines.
Quoted from Robert Greenwalt’s unit history.